Tuzla University, containing 42 study profiles
organizes and realizes teaching-scientific process at undergraduate
and postgraduate level of the study at nine faculties containing
around 15000 students. 500 teachers and associates employed at
the University and 237 teachers and associates as outside collaborators
are participating in the teaching-scientific process. In addition
to this number, 200 associates are employed at this University
doing expert, administration-technical and auxiliary jobs.
28 years of development of university education and science-research
institutions preceded forming of the University of Tuzla.
During 60s high schools, colleges and institutions for science-research
activities have been formed in Tuzla as a result of economic and
social needs and determinations of environment on connecting education
and economy: Two-year college of mining established in 1958 and
Faculty of Technology in 1959 as a first faculty outside the Sarajevo
university. Mining School developed into a Faculty of mining in
1960, and the same year Two-year College of education started
working. In 1961 in Brcko, Two-year college of Economy and Commerce
started with work.
Further development of university
education in Northeastern Bosnia was dictated by needs and dynamics
of economic and social development of the region. In the same
rhythm Two-years colleges transformed into faculties, faculties
and institutions were founded and new economic fields have been
developed. Two-year college of education transformed into Teachers'
college in 1969, Two-year college of Economy and Commerce into
Faculty of Economy in 1976. School of Electrical Engineering was
organized as a separate organizational entity of Sarajevo University
in 1972. Turning point in development of university education
in the region was the founding of the Faculty of Medicine in 1976.
That was the turning point when the area of multi-branching was
entered stepping further away from the mostly technical proliferation.
Founding of the university had become a necessity; not only to
continue the development of the university education but to ensure
further cultural and social transformation of one of the most
densely populated regions of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The founding was preceded by constructing of the Association of
university education and science-research institutions of Northeast
Bosnia in 1972, and Consortium for development of higher and university
education and science-research work in Tuzla.
Faculty of technology
in Tuzla, Faculty of mining in Tuzla, the Institute for mining and
chemical-technological research Tuzla, Teachers' college Tuzla,
Two-year college of Economy and Commerce Brcko and Federal centre
for education and protection in industry and mining in Tuzla joined
the Association. Later, Department of Music Academy and Faculty
of Electrical Engineering from Sarajevo located in Tuzla joined
Agreement on University association was signed on November 18th
1976 in Sarajevo, and the celebration of beginning of work was held
December 18th in Tuzla.
Today, JU University
of Tuzla has 13 faculties as its parts (Special-education teachers
college, Faculty of Economy, Electrical Engineering, Philosophical
College, Faculty of Sport, Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Medicine,
Faculty of Mining-Geological-Civil Engineering, Faculty of Technology,
Faculty of Law, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Phamracy) and the
Academy of Drama.
University has a very developed cooperation with universities and
other institutions branching in university education inside the
country as well as abroad. International cooperation of the Tuzla
University so far and the achieved results in many international
projects clearly show our determination to further improve the University
in accord with European programs and standards.